WorkWell English Instructor (Mosul, Iraq)
Preemptive Love is a global community of peacemakers working to end war and stop the spread of violence. We do this by living and working in polarizing conflict zones, providing emergency relief to families persecuted by terrorism and violence, jobs for displaced families and community building.
About the team
For the tens of thousands victimized by conflict, they don’t need a hand-out, they need a hand-up. We change the way the world engages polarizing conflict by empowering victims and turning them into small business owners, employers, and sustainable sources of revenue and hope for their families and the local community. We do this through building relationships and once their businesses have started we follow up with them to make sure things are running smoothly.
Job Title: English Instructor
Hours: Full time (From 8:30 AM To 5:30 PM, Sunday to Thursday)
Location: Mosul, Iraq
Reports to: Mosul Tech Hub Manager, Training Coordinator
Contract Duration: 3 Months with the possibility of extension
About the Role
The WorkWell program is Preemptive Love’s job creation pathway. WorkWell’s mission is to coach people to quality employment. You will be at the heart of WorkWell English immersion and tuition. In your role as an English Coach, you will be spearheading the development of English speakers at your Tech Hub, bringing out their potential, and inspiring them to break the barrier of shyness when speaking English. In this way, you are instrumental in getting your workers to better-paying jobs and outside opportunities. Through developing your workers’ language skills, you are developing their future and ability to connect to different cultures, concepts, and companies.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Instructing workers in the theory and use of basic English language concepts such as vocabulary, grammar, listening, speaking, etc.
- Providing guidance, mentorship, and support to workers and members of Workwell outside of class hours.
- Communicate the value of the English language in higher pay, better jobs.
- Embrace full English Language immersion to challenge workers. Create an environment that gets workers to speak with confidence using English.
- Plan, prepare and teach well-developed lessons that enthuse and inspire workers and promote the enjoyment of learning at WorkWell.
- Follow Google Classrooms set-up and utilize it to the best of its possibility.
- Deliver standardized testing as outlined by the curriculum tests, benchmarks, and requirements as outlined by Google Classrooms.
- Carry out one-one-one coaching and mentorship sessions with each worker.
- Lead in the improvement of curriculum, with the understanding that the curriculum must be standardized across all WorkWell sites.
- Attend all daily and weekly meetings outlined by the Tech Hub Management.
- Write reports on workers with clear formative comments and targets as to how to improve work by defined deadlines given, and provide regular feedback on WorkWell worker performance.
- Supervise and track workers’ attendance and behavior and follow up as appropriate, in accordance with WorkWell program standards.
- Fill out daily, weekly and end of cycle reporting on time and to a high standard.
- Assigning and grading homework.
- Report on all activities with high quality data. Generate high quality data and reports for various stakeholders.
- Create engaging social media marketing content to build the WorkWell brand in your city.
- Assess, track, and provide relevant and timely feedback on achievement (performance and growth) and developmental needs to workers and other colleagues.
- Effectively and appropriately differentiate instruction so as to meet all workers’ learning styles with an appreciation for workers’ learning differences.
- Be aware of your responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of workers and young persons you are responsible for.
- Be responsible for participant recruitment, registration, interview and selection process.
- Be responsible for the high retention of program participants.
- Be responsible for creating an impactful relationship with each program participant.
- Be responsible for finding and creating job opportunities and openings for participants and alumni to enable them to gain quality employment.
- Participate in the reporting and evaluation process consistent with defined parameters
- Responsible for the accurate and professional data gathering and entry. This is particularly important during the registration of candidates and recording of survey results.
- Supporting the Training Coordinator in the coordination of activities (weekly worker assembly, worker of the week recognition, etc).
- Address and respond to participant issues as needed.
- University Degree with a focus on English Literature or related discipline.
- Outstanding level of written and oral proficiency in English and Kurdish/ Arabic.
- Previous coaching experience.
- Present confidently to a diverse audience including prospective clients and investors.
- Accountability for the results at your Tech Hub and have a drive for serious results.
- The drive and the ability to work in challenging environments.
- Inspire excellence and excellence in your workers.
- Seek clarity when unsure and have a proactive bias for action.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to deliver outcomes timely and accurately.
- The ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Plan effectively ahead of time.
- Excellent active listening skills and written communication skills.
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing conditions, client needs, and program needs.
- Set high standards for yourself and your workers, and be able to maintain discipline for operational effectiveness.
- A proven ability to complete a full English Language training cycle (assess needs, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate.)
- Familiarity and broad experience with information technologies.
- Be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with the private sector is preferred.
- Experience with international organizations or companies is appreciated.
- Previous coaching experience working with young people is highly preferred.
- Excellent familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Knowledge of website navigation tools and terminology in Arabic/ Kurdish and English.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, men, bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and members of other minority or marginalized groups. Please see Equal Employment Opportunity for more information.