Preemptive Love is a global community of peacemakers working to end war and stop the spread of violence. We do this by living and working in polarizing conflict zones, providing emergency relief to families persecuted by terrorism and violence, jobs for displaced families, and community building.
About the team
Content is the rocket fuel to Preemptive Love’s growth. Our global Communications team produces world-class digital and print content telling unforgettable stories of the people we serve, highlighting urgent needs around the world and the fearless work we do to meet them, and equipping our community of donors to be peacemakers right where they live. We are fast, nimble, willing to take risks and say hard things, and—above all—always inviting people to join us in the way of preemptive love. We are generalists united by our shared belief in the power of storytelling to change lives, and specialists highly skilled in written, video, and audio content production.
Job Title: Video Editor (Iraq)
Hours: Part Time, three days a week (from 9:00am to 5:00pm)
Location: Sulaymaniyah, Iraq
Reports to: Video Producer
Duration of the contract: Three months with probability of extension
About the Role
The video editor is responsible for editing short-form videos that represent Preemptive Love’s humanitarian work, build trust and credibility with our donor audience, and increase their awareness of vital global and humanitarian issues relevant to our work.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work on a range of short-form videos, under the direction of the Video Producer. These video can include (but are not limited to):
- Highlight videos depicting a Preemptive Love event or program. These videos often require a fast turnaround, so they can be shared with our audience quickly.
- Donor thank-you videos featuring members of our staff and using footage of one of our programs and the people we serve.
- Perform basic video editing tasks, including (but are not limited to):
- Trimming videos for length and content
- Adding subtitles, captions, and other text
- Designing and editing graphics (including Preemptive Love branding)
- Editing and incorporating b-roll into video
- Adding voiceover, music, and other audio
- Rendering video into formats that can be shared on Preemptive Love’s online distribution channels
- Process raw footage and photography—naming files according to Preemptive Love’s naming conventions, adding tags and other relevant metadata, copying files to HDD storage, and uploading to cloud storage.
- Participate in filming as needed, documenting Preemptive Love programs and events such as food distributions, program openings, WorkWell graduations, interviews with staff and program beneficiaries, etc—being sure to capture both primary footage and b-roll.
- 1-3 years experience in video editing (Please provide a sample of your work—for example, a portfolio, social media profile, links to published content, etc.)
- Experience filming preferred but not required.
- A good eye for video and photography, as well as an understanding of what makes a compelling story, especially on digital platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- At least limited working proficiency in English, fluency in Arabic both speaking and writing is required, and Kurdish is preferred.
- Ability to create content that adheres to the Preemptive Love brand and voice.
- An awareness of various digital communication platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, etc) and an ability to gather content with them in mind.
- Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Premiere or Final Cut Pro.
- Communication tools (Slack, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Google Suite
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, men, bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and members of other minority or marginalized groups. Please see Equal Employment Opportunity for more information.